Friday, May 12, 2006

Open Letter to McGill Web Page

Dear McGill Web Page,

Yuo suxx0rs.

Unthankfully yours,
Everyone on the goddamn planet.

P.S. Tell Alumni to stop bugging me for donations until you fix it.


Every time Jorgh asks me about something that necessitates me looking up something about McGill, the discussion always falls upon the waste of webspace called McGill.ca. I am sure everyone who designed it is especially proud of how it is completely unreadable and unhelpful. I don't recall any news web site requiring the use of SIX narrow columns on a front page squishing in TEN different headings. It's confusing, it's disorienting, and it actually keeps people from reading the front page at all, except to unsuccessfully scan it for a link to a godforsaken useful document like an exam schedule.

Every single link on the front page goes somewhere different. That doesn't sound like a bad thing, but having a header that says "Student Information" versus a link that says "Student Services" somewhere else on the page lets you believe that McGill paid these people just to make as many webpages as possible with as many different combinations of the words "student," "full range," "faculties," "admissions," and "pat ourselves on our butts for making these fantastic web pages."

To be completely fair, the design is probably not up to the webmaster. I can emphasize with the poor prole who had to endure the hours of, "But I'm telling you, I want the web site to be completely white so all the text can run together like a massive word jumble. And squish the whole thing together in the middle of the page some more because I don't like using up the entire screen."

And yes, I know how completely ironic it is for a person who has such a messy looking blog to complain about how terrible another web site looks, but I made this site on a whim whereas WE PAID FOR MCGILL'S THING WITH OUR BLOOD TUITION MONEY.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, don't get me started on WebCT Vista...I don't know how many millions they wasted on that one.

Anonymous said...

and have you noticed how there is no place to give any sort of feedback on the site? guess they already know how crappy it is and don't want to hear about it ;P

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.