Monday, November 15, 2004

The NES Fix

Having very little to do in the evening and currently very busy hands (despite the blister asplosion), I went about looking for a fix for our old Nintendo system. We have the old "blinking problem" and the "stupid rusted connectors" problem. Many web sites recommend the following things:

  1. Clean all connectors with rubbing alcohol and/or spray WD40 to fix the rustiness and dustiness and lustiness.

  2. Take apart system, pull out the 72 pin connector, and bend the bottom row of pins up to make it happy again.

  3. Chop up the system, and resolder the parts to make cartridges face back/up/left/right or smallitize/bigenize the thing.

  4. Buy a new 72 pin connector. End of story.


My fix was basically to derustify/dedustify the thing. It took a lot of sweat and ruined screw heads to make it work, but I think I got it. So far, it has run Super Mario 2, Ultima 3, and Kirby's Adventure without too much hassle. Hopefully, the other games will run just as smoothly (?) so that we can finally use this box again without cursing. (Which is unlikely, seeing how I play action games so badly.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should find a way to fix your Sega Master System now, and play the original Double Dragon! :)

PJ

Eugenie said...

I would if it were still here. I think my brother traded it for a futon. :(

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.