I Almost Never Want To Get Pregnant Ever After Watching This
I watched a program today on TLC called 14 Children and Pregnant Again, a look at Jim Bob Dugger's family from Arkansas. Yes, they have 15 kids. It's a charming but also disturbing look at the logistics and social aspects behind a large family. Just to reiterate some of the FAQ's from the show:
- No, they are not on welfare; in fact, they were always debt free from the start of their family and are financially secure.
- There are 10 boys and 5 girls, all with J names (like Jim-Bob). The wife's name is Michelle.
- Yes, they have a certain religious conviction. I don't really know what it is, but it's probably one of those uber-conservative ones.
- The father ran for US senate, and also a state House Representative for two years. The mother homeschools the kids and is quite young!
- The kids seem to get along so well that you'd think they were robots or something.
I don't dislike this family because of the massive, massive number of kids in the household. I do admire the incredible organization and resourcefulness of each person. But it's stories like this report from the UN recently that makes me both disturbed and completely turned off of having a huge family (or having even one baby).
But of course, we cannot compare the huge Dugger family to another kind of huge family, the rather more disturbing and gross-out type...

1 comment:
thanks for the kind words about my drawings :)
and thanks for the info on such... interesting lifestyles. i've seen pictures of the men who practice polygamy, but never of the women. sometimes i wonder what kind of personality it must take to live like that. completely warped, maladjusted and manipulable (is that last one even a word?) i suppose.
ian.
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.