Friday, September 03, 2004

On SUMS, and Moving On



Many people I know as of late have been complaining about the poor treatment SUMS has been giving them. (I won't name them. But seeing as I am usually the most vociferous of the SUMS alumni, I feel as though some injustice is done if I don't say anything.)

Now, no one is disputing the definition of SUMS. Indeed, it was created as a place for undergraduate mathematics students. The acronym is "Society of Undergraduate Mathematics Students." This was in response to these students requiring a space and support amongst their own, in contrast to the graduate math society students.

Over the years, many, many people have passed through the doors of ol' Burnside 1B20. Some have stayed and some have left, but came back to visit. Some graduated and continued to stay at McGill. Even fewer (but significantly) have graduated, stayed, gone abroad, came back, and found themselves crazy glued to fixtures down there.

It evolved into a society where not only math undergraduates fraternize within the dank, stinky walls of the room, but undergrads of other faculties, graduates and sometimes staff (Loveys) came by to chat and/or used the couches to sleep upon. And so evolved SUMS for the betterment of the math undergrad experience. (... I think...)

Then when it came time for the yearly turnover, the alumni or the older residents would inform the freshmen and the inexperienced about the culture, the camaraderie, and the experience. It would be always hard to take the changes, since it indicated that life was actually physically moving forward.

Hence, here I am ranting about SUMS once again, probably for the last time. I'll just tell it as a story, names have been changed or hidden, yadda yadda yadda.

Once upon a time, Jorghnassen and I were still in SUMS. We were amongst a handful of alumni and people having stayed beyond 4 years (me) at McGill. Ours was a cute, friendly and sometimes deranged group within a group. But we never thought we would feel excluded from our own home away from home.

Then suddenly, the new executive embodiment of undergrad math students decided to ignore most (or all) of the old cronies' advice. Even as they hypocritcally revered the SUMS "mama" (me) and stood in awe of the l33t math graduates and superbrains, in general they returned very litte in terms of compassion, respect, and ... manners.

The cycle was broken. Very few alumni even wished to come visit. Sometimes they walked in and immediately out, seeing that no one within the room would even give them the time of day. Thus, the cronies, who felt isolated from the froshies, had no more place to pass on their experience.

My role as a SUMS crony was effectively diminished. Despite 5 years under the belt, I no longer felt welcome nor respected. And this role was pretty much all I had. I am neither well-versed in mathematics nor in physics, and I am certain that no one would regard my academic habits as something to be desired.

I could outline the problems of the past a million times to the executives, but not one of them would understand the mistakes and carry out the resolution.

So one day, when not one of us gave a crap anymore, we disappeared.



I feel very sorry for the new froshies and cronies in math for not having people around with enough sense to welcome them in a non-idiotic fashion. Ours was an inclusive, sometimes shy but friendly group. This is a gang of anti-social, disrespectful butt-lickers. My hope has faded for a renewal of SUMS.

As for the exec, if you are reading this, I hope you are happy. You managed to alienate the old cronies who would have supported you in your endeavours, if you had even bothered to care.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should remove SUMS from your list of links. They haven't updated in a long time anyway....

Anonymous said...

There might be hope still, for all things change, and once the current shadow passes away there may yet be (artificial, there are no windows) sunshine in SUMS, even though it won't shine upon us no longer.

(cr)Dave.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.