Saturday, September 20, 2003

More About School Stuff...


And now I have to mention the usual. The froshees.

Now, there's nothing wrong with being a froshee. I was one myself, if you can believe it. Really. (Hey, I haven't been in school that long. Look at Jorgh!) There's nothing wrong with being so heartbreakingly new to a city and a school with no one to really turn to at times that you pain everyone around you who's a veteran to your type.

It's just that there's so many of them that do so many things that piss you off! "You" as in "me."

First off, I've never been in a real "bird course" yet at McGill until this year. Sure, there's education courses, but those don't really count since they're actual required courses. I mean, you could submit a pile of dung and it'd be given an A. Or an A-, depending on how well you argue your way to making people think that it symbolizes a student's strife. Really.

So at these bird courses, there lies the few-hundred froshees. And they all tend to show that they're froshes. Let me categorize in broad, general demeaning but TRUE statements:
  1. The slut froshees: Females who wear tube tops, floppies, and not much else to class (especially in the winter), and put on tons of make-up and make their hair into little coiffes that look like they sprayed entire cans of laquer on their heads. Males who wear lots of cologne, brand-name shirts, pants, socks, underwear, tattoos. Like to talk a lot. Even when the professor tells you to shut up.

  2. The keener froshees: Like to pretend they're still in high school and communicate with the professor in flowery language, ask unnecessary questions, quote from course packs that everyone buys but no one is supposed to read, present uninteresting assignments in expensive bindings and folders, like to talk a lot. Especially when the professor tells you to shut up.

  3. The bastard froshees: Come to class one day out of a month (if they bother)... when they actually do attend, they sleep through it, eat loudly, talk loudly, ask bonehead questions, never write notes, and/or disturb other students in the class. Likes to be told to shut up, it seems.

  4. The sweet-but-so-very-confused froshees: Basically so confused because they took all the wrong classes at the same time. Like six core courses or something. And really, really don't like to admit they made mistakes until it's too late. The professors don't even know they exist so they can't be told to shut up.


Seriously, how many of you feel like maiming some of these people sometimes? (Or all the time, in some cases?) I mean, you could probably see yourselves in the fourth category (I know I did), but I'm sure I pissed off a lot of people when I was a froshee. I'd have took me aside, pinned me up to the lockers, and give myself a wedgie for being such a damn piss-off. I mean, seriously, if I hear any person whine like that and never do anything about it but whine, then I'd definitely give them a stern talking-to. And a wedgie.

This is why they invented buddy programs. To prevent the seniors from killing too many froshees.


Speaking of nerds... ah, no, that'd be too mean. Let's just say it has to do with SUMS and newbies.


The U of M course is such a different experience. I haven't spoken to anyone yet other than the professor. When Jorgh and I went to U of M on the first day of class, we found his office but the door was closed. It was then that Jorghnassen noticed the sticker on the door I completely missed.

At that moment, I had a little fear (aptly named Jacques) that the fact a McGill (a Liberal-anglo-federalist supporting school) student would be taking his class would affect the way he may behave towards me.

Nevertheless, the professor is a fair and polite person, despite his slight attitude towards me and my ineptitude in French. Well, at least he won't be marking me off for having bad French. How lovely. :)


Heh. I was looking for an image to link to that "sticker" above, and I don't know if you want to know what I found on the Google Image Search (GIS) under the word, "oui"...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.