Monday, October 25, 2004

This City is Going Down the Crap Hole

After spending about 6 months back here in Quebec, I am rather disappointed by its offerings. A right-wing (ADQ, leader Mario Dumont) politician was elected in our provincial riding in September. The RTC (formerly the STCUQ) is on strike this week, thereby dooming the entire city of 600 000 to ride the bus during the brief window of rush hour (at 1/3 reduction of service) during the weekdays ONLY.

What I am most disappointed in is the lack of internet-based news sites about Quebec City. I'm not talking about the bullitens that the National Assembly, or other Quebec government sites set out, but just plain effing news.

Montreal Web Blog is a decent enough news/commentary site that is varied enough to keep even me interested in what is going on in Montreal. It has a link to a Quebec City blog, called Québec urbain, that is probably going to be the closest to a news blog there will be in this city.

I don't mind that everyone is French-speaking and probably hardly ever see anglos or immigrants miling around town. I don't even mind that some can't speak English, or hold preconceived notions about other cultures and ethnicities. But posts like the third one down from this thread really piss the living crap out of me. Especially when people like that choose to hide their identity behind the anonimity of the internet.

Fortunately, sentiments like those don't ring true of the majority of the population. I prefer to think that among the people who live in this very bureaucratic city, the majority is in fact highly educated and well-informed... well, except that majority who decided to elect the ADQ. (But this is Vanier, so I don't think there's much to wonder here.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The the ADQ, the RTC and all retarded racist bigots suxx0rs.

PJ

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.