Ms C's Random Food Review (part 2)
Today: Ms C's craptastic apple pie, a.k.a. cardboard with fruit
Comments: After the (ill-fated?) success of the last blueberry pie, Jorghnassen insisted that we create a pie just for ourselves, while he was in town this weekend. So we (and by "we" I mean "I") set about trying to recreate the pastry with my mum's "recipe" (basically, her shouting out what quantities of which ingredients that seemingly "fits" regardless of the actual recipe) with very traumatic results.
Review: Seeing as the key ingredient in a good pastry is lard (sorry, no vegetable substitute here), we made sure there was plenty. And there was plenty. Which should be the case, as no one ever came up with a "diet pie" that was anything close to the real thing without the good fat.
Overall, the pastry became disgusting and dry... due to me trying to make the pastry become better than a pile of lard and flour. It wouldn't hold together so I finally gave up and spatula-ed the mess onto the pie plate.
Saving grace: egg wash. Makes any gross pastry a golden less-than-eyesore.
Rating: -0.5 / 5 ... it is still edible but barely...

2 comments:
It's all my fault because I helped you make the pie. I shouldn't have interfered. I'm sorry.
PJ
That's not true. It's because I kneaded the dough too much. This is another key thing about making pastries; you can't play with the food too much!
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.