The Footlong! - No, the Sub.
My first day substituting for QHS. I took the first two periods in the morning: one Ecology with secondary 1, and one French second language, nearly the same secondary ones.
It's so weird because everyone still reacts as though they have never seen a asian-looking teacher... or any asians for that matter. Those kids were utterly clueless. They started calling out "Ms C! Miss Chow! Chow Chow!!!" and then I would wave and walk away. One kid even proclaimed that the chinese "alphabet" has 76 characters.
Anyway, it was fun because they were rather good kids but crazy at the same time. I had the great experience of trying to conduct a FSL class in french, until I gave up midway because I couldn't figure out how to say "Stop talking or I'll toss you outside like trash!" ... civilly.
The vice principal, the resource teacher, and the secretary kept coming by to keep an eye out on me once in a while. This was something rather unexpected, but mostly because I usually was kept to myself during the field experiences (since I'm supposed to know how to handle it at those moments) and the cooperating teacher would sit in the classes once in a while.
Overall, I wouldn't mind going back. But I'm sure the novelty wore off by now anyway...

3 comments:
Your kids were lucky. They had the cutest substitute ever!
PJ
Laurenhill ACademy rocks!!
Yes. Thank you, Anonymous.
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.