The Super-Embarrassing Poll Clerk
I forgot to blog last week about the last two days of poll clerk...ing... so I'll just compress the stupid stories below.
- Our McConnell Engineering poll station was invaded by the folks of CAFS, the group responsible for the boycotting action against our current sucky giant conglomerate food provider Chartwells. Basically, they wanted to give out free food from Tuesday to Thursday, and right next to our poll station.
The only problem is that we have a referendum question about SSMU actions against the university administration's choice of opening bidding only for all school cafeterias at the same time. (Thus, Chartwells, being the only candidate who can afford the milllions to bid for all the cafs, would most likely make the only bid.)
So we had to tell command center that CAFS was right next to our table, and an elections coordinator came by to shoo them off around the corner. For some reason, barely any of those who went to get free food came by to vote afterwards. They must have voted elsewhere or wasn't going to vote anyway. So command center told us to try to get those masses to vote.
By then, I had made a few signs to let people see that it was, indeed, the day to vote. ie. "VOTE TODAY" taped to my hat, and to my back. So I walked around like a crazy person to let people know it was indeed, the day to vote, indeed. I garnered a lot of attention and smiles, and some embarrassed stares. Arabind didn't say much. - Thursday, command center needed to change some of the clerks and stations around to make sure we stayed fresh. So for the very last shift, they sent me to the Law building. CC told me to call them to confirm this, but I had some problems calling the front desk to have them transfer me to "COMMAND CENTER," and not the "Debating Club," the "Switchboard," or the "Dial Tone."
I'm sure if there were people in the law building on Wednesdays, they would have voted just out of pity for my signs taped on my head, front and back, saying "VOTE TODAY," "LAST DAY." Then Jin came by, of all days and of all places and of all times, and caught me in the getup. Fortunate for me she didn't bring a camera. :p
In addition, the Elections McGill servers decided to screw themselves up for the one-time-only-where-everything-explodes-at-the-most-critical moment, at the very last few hours of voting, and ceased functioning properly or at all for a good while. Then we had a crappy time setting up the station again for voters, so the ones who did want to vote ran off. We had a good turnout of, oh, about 5 in those three hours.
I await the big cheque for those 22.25 long hours. And I screwed up my modern physics assignment that week for this job.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.