Roadkill Calculus
The roads are littered with sad hairy flattened corpses of unrecognizable animals, now that spring pounced upon the region. It started as soon as the ice and snow started melting, some weeks ago, after some sudden snow storms and sudden sweltering sunny days. It all resulted in the now five or six new splotches per day, covering the asphalt like mini misplaced rugs. I have to drive by them twice a day; the morning, when they mysteriously appear as fresh bloody mounds, and in the afternoon, when they are no longer mounds but pancakes.
Arriving at school, I have to check the underside of the Rav4 to make sure there are no crazy stains or small animals lodged in or under fender and bumper. It only makes sense that there are so many little buggers killed per day - this is farmer country, indeed. But to have so many of them pop up in a semi-urbanized area like Waterloo is astounding; I don't even have to go out to the farmlands to note the appearance of fuzzy wuzzy's cuzzy and friends, 2D in the middle of the street. Although the appearance of the fox last year did raise our suspicion that this "city" is not all that city-like.
Speaking of roadkill... the calculus class is wrapping up tomorrow with the final exam bright and early on Saturday morning. I am fortunate that I only have a mid-sized pile of final exams to mark, input into the gigantic spreadsheet file and send the marks by email to the school before Tuesday. Dear readers must have noted that I have been particularly busy in the last three months, playing BG and BG2, oversleeping, making crafts, hiding out in ultimately sad, sad malls, eating and writing about it, and generally whining.
Actually, besides not jogging, it's not much different from when I was mulling about unemployed. So, no, I don't have an excuse for not blogging.
The result of all this is that I am finally allotted a week off, after 12 weeks nonstop of "working." :)
Though it doesn't change the fact that I still have to avoid driving over lumps of flattened fur on the road. :(
To change the tone, as I often do, especially with all the crap I wrote about roadkill, this is the cutest thing I've seen all year. So far. :)

4 comments:
aww cute little fuzzy things... as for the otters, that's pretty cool too ;)
the otters are soooooooooooo CUTE!!!!! :D :D :D
lol@stephen
I forgot to mention that I got the link from boingboing.
I wish I could just lay on my back, floating in a pool and sleep all day.
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.