A Can of Worms? Open?
To my relief, I secured a part-time job teaching math at a private high school outside of Waterloo, with Jorghnassen's help, starting in early January. The details of the job are still lacking, but the major detail in my quest for sanity has been more or less fulfilled. On the other hand, it caused a much bigger "deal" than it fixed: zero public transit and a 20 km commute.
I had thought of every single possible way I could get there on a regular basis.
Carpooling would be the most obvious one (and most feasible) if only I had asked the principal when he offered me the job; but I was only given his cell number and it apparently costs a crapton for him to use it for incoming calls... thus I am still rather reluctant on calling him through that number again. (And I know what you are going to say, so don't say it and stop saying it!)
Someone suggested getting a bike; cheap and ideal, but I loathe to find out what kind of physical shape I am in right now. Last summer, it took me 2 hours to travel 20+ km uphill, and 1 hour to roll it downhill.
Car sharing is great, but would run up quite a bill for daily commuting, compared to the final option:
Buying a car.
(The absolutely, unquestionably retarded option my mum demanded from me, despite it not being her decision, was that I take a cab every single day until I "matured" enough to know enough about cars to get one, which would take at least a year, and even then she told me I was "too stupid" to own a car. I won't even begin on ranting on the stupidity of this.)
I thought of buying a scooter or car as the absolute last option (barring the above), as I know probably less about scooters and cars than anyone I know, and I have the most overbearing, insane family of anyone I know. Fortunately, as I am the most inept of all my acquaintances, I have the option of asking advice from everyone else. And here are a few nuggets!
Rachel's brother, Pat, who had accompanied us to Bwawston, works with and studies in cars, and has a classmate who could probably locate a suitable used auto. He also offered to service it in his school. This would be in Montreal.
Ian has prevoiusly advised me to buy in Ontario, as the transfer between provinces would cost more than it was worth, but as I was uncertain whether I had time to do that before the job started, I opted for the former.
Shhh! told me that car dealerships would take care of everything in a pretty timely manner, and that it was well worth it for him.
Davy said to look into cheap enough cars within $3000 (if I could only think the costs would end at $3000 :( ).
And alas, I know naught about scooters except deep-voiced Eugene has one that he commutes with in Ottawa to the bus station. Though scooters seem quite cute. :)
To excuse my absence, I have been helping Jorghnassen fix up his presentation for his Ph.D. defense last Monday. Which he then passed with flying colours!

3 comments:
I'd say "avoid scooters", they are dangerous and less fun than motorcycles. They also suck in the winter. Dealers? Used car dealers are typically the worst crooks in the world. Example. I was doing an oil change in my car and I walked into a used car dealer 'cause I had nothing better to do. They showed me a car, asking $12000 for it. When I said I didn't care, they said "fine, $9000". So they were going to steal $3000 right then right there. Beware, beware!
David(Air_
Ugh. Well, at least I have an option right now for neither scooter nor dealer. :p
Well, if all else fails, there's a plan B but you must decide quick.
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.