Thursday, September 21, 2006

Birthday Mommy

Yesterday, I woke up bright and early at noon, walked to the grocery store (which seems infinitely farther than when I'm jogging by there), and bought stuff for a cheesecake. Then I got caught in the rain on the way back, while my neighbours who happened to be walking down the same way spotted me attempting to jog home. I ran into the pharmacy and bought a box of white almond bark and a lotto ticket. Then I got home and made the cheesecake (which, by the way, can gain interesting texture with a layer of almond slivers on top before baking):

TEH RSUMIST CITRUS CHEESECAKE

2 packages of softened cream cheese (I suppose even the store-brand one)
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1-2 tbsp each lemon and orange juice (fresh squeezed or whatever)
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1-2 tbsp melted butter... make that 1. No, 2. Well, you'll see.

OPTIONAL:
almond slivers
orange and lemon zest

  1. Set oven at 350 F. Use an 8" springform pan, or regular cake pan, or a pie plate. Whatever's clean. And ovenproof.

  2. Mix together the crumbs and the butter, and line the bottom of your pan with it. We used to use a pie plate because my mum and sister didn't think of using other things in the house. Then I discovered one day at a restaurant that cheesecakes don't have to look like pies...? Yeah we're really messed up.

  3. Using a mixer, beat the devil out of the eggs (lol), and add sugar. Then add the cream cheese. The mixture might be lumpy at first (especially the store-brand one), so you have to keep beating until everything is smooth, otherwise something disastrous will happen!!!1!

  4. Add in lemon and orange juice. If I had cleaner fruit and a zester I would have added lemon and orange zest. And if I had found limes yesterday I would have added one too. But I couldn't find squat at the store. >:(

  5. Pour batter into crumb-lined pan. Layer optional things on top, like almond slivers. Man, those things are tasty.

  6. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the center is no longer gooey.

  7. Let the cheesecake cool otherwise you might get an upset tummy. :(

  8. Feed to mommy. :)


Put in more sugar if you like a sweeter cheesecake, considering there's not much sugar for the lemon and orange juice in the batter. My mum actually doesn't like sweet stuff (despite her chocolate cravings) so she said this was just right. :)

Then we won the 6/49 :D:D:D:( No we didn't. Now I have to go wash the floor by hand. :(

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I have cake too? With no cheese and no almonds?

Eugenie said...

No cheese??? What kind of cheesecake is that???

Anonymous said...

A regular cake. Like, chocolate, or sour cream. Or just white cake (which is sort of meh, but my bros like it).

Anonymous said...

mmmmm cake! i want cake! :D
sounds yummy but deadly... ;P

Eugenie said...

I made cheesecake and now you all want cake. @_@

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.