Friday, July 07, 2006

Memories

I am both appalled and fascinated that I have a short term memory loss problem. Appalled, for the obvious reasons. One doesn't pride oneself for forgetting seeing someone merely days ago, or having eaten an hour ago, or even what was said a minute ago. (Though I'm certain I'm not as problematic as others who do have more extreme cases.)

Fascinated... because I tend to forget what I write. I have probably written as much as several times around the Earth by now, but I doubt I can even recognize my writings from even a month ago. If I discover my own short stories or a journal entry from ages ago, I will actually sit down and read these things as though a total stranger has written them. These mysterious events that occured in my blog entries from three years ago are actually new again to me. I don't remember experiencing such fierce feelings of joy, frustration, or regret... well, except the obvious.

My technique for trying not to forget anything important is to physically write it down in my agenda, on the calendar sitting right above my monitor, and/or then tell someone else about it. Though it's hard when I forget to do that within the first few minutes after hearing the bit of news. And then it's also a matter of not forgetting to refer to my agenda every so often.

What I don't do is post-it notes. They're alright sometimes but I don't see them as obviously after more than two are stuck up somewhere unusual. Even if put in usual spots, I will mentally push them aside as something obscuring my view!

My pet peeve is forgetting what I want to say just before I say it. My pet peeve is also forgetting that I want to say something.

... I don't really communicate well in person, it seems...




In other news, my bike has a flat again and has been sitting here for a month pathetically reminding me every day about it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have memory problems.

Anonymous said...

so do I.. I think
and I can fix bikes... at least I used to... no wonder I use so many dots... no wonder people are confused when I talk... I can fix bikes...

Eugenie said...

Bike? What bike?
... Oh that one...

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.