The (HOPEFULLY) Last Time Ever...
I wrote my final final exam today at 2 p.m. in Rutherford 115 (the same bastard classroom as the one classes were held in).
I can't believe how f@$#ing unfair the stupid exam was.
I never make this claim for any exam if I have no reason to think I couldn't have studied more / better / more better. But there was no way in hell anyone in the examination room could have studied and got any more than an 80% on that final. (Face it, we may not be the "grunt" physicists, as a certain MSPS ex-prez seems to claim, but we're not keener honours students either.)
I worked as thoroughly as I could this semester on each assignment, from I to X, and each stupid question from 1 to 48 (or 47?). I made my solutions as understandable as possible, to myself and the marker, and I handed them in dutifully at the due date (but not the due hour, I admit).
The professor failed to make our assignment solutions (from IV to X) available a month before the exam on his web site, and then he uploaded IV to VII ... but didn't upload the rest from VIII-X until Monday or so, and didn't even put them up properly. He overwrote IX with VIII, and only corrected it this afternoon, about 1.5 hours before the exam.
But then all that didn't matter because the exam didn't have any of the topics we did our assignments on.
Topics
1) magnetic moment of a proton in hydrogen
2) same as #2 in the mock midterm (which I didn't know how to do, but I couldn't find out because the professor was unwilling to put up the solutions to this midterm anyway)
3) something about energy again
4) I have no f#@%ing clue... it had to do with a CN molecule spinning about and doing funny things in space
5) some long rambling question about Van der Waal's interaction between noble elements
Anyway, you get the picture. All the studying that everyone did all semester long... the hours and hours of assignment problems... aching and killing ourselves over formulae after formulae to be deciphered and imprinted into our brains for eternity...
NONE OF THAT FREAKING MATTERED BECAUSE NO ONE KNEW WHAT THE CRAP WAS HAPPENING IN THE EXAM.
I was so piss-mad that I was literally screaming in Jorgh's office after the exam. Ivo and Donnah who were both next door even came by to see what was happening (or also coming by to congratulate me on finishing).
My classmates were literally whimpering during the exam. We all looked at the marker who was our invigilator for most of the exam with great longing and pain. Why wasn't he around when we needed him to be conducting tutorials?
Judith, the notoriously rebellious classmate also from Champlain St-Lawrence, campaigned to get the chair to intervene in our predicament - a professor with the teaching skills of a broken record player. Apparently he will look into the results of the final and adjust the marks accordingly. So I will see in the near future if there is a necessity to write the supplemental. Otherwise, consider myself in precarious ground for not graduation... uh... again.
Think about it this way... I need about 40% on the final to get a bare minimum pass.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.