Summer Flowers!
I haven't been gardening much as I have no clue what I'm supposed to be doing, but here is a sample of the various flowering things on our property. Most were present when we moved in.
For instance, at the east side of the house is a shallow, shaded garden plot with almost no sun and a mess of crazy plants growing that may or may not be weeds - I am still not sure. However, I know there was deliberate attempt at planting perennials and flowering plants in a meaningful pattern, as evidenced by this one, sad, pathetic rose ... stick. I can't even call it a bush because it was literally two sticks in the ground this spring. But it did give birth to something surprising:
At the front of the house is a disgusting walkway that was probably hastily put in by the previous owner because it didn't even last one winter and fell apart. There is no division between the walkway and the garden plot in the front so I think we might get it redone entirely soon. I can't see it lasting another winter. Anyway, we planted some cute annuals, some soon being chowed down by ants. :(


The east side of the house showed some other cute blooms that can stand the shaded mess:
Good thing I didn't mow it down with my lawnmower this spring...
Two mystery annuals were planted in the tomato planter, with the promise that they would attract hummingbirds. I haven't seen them yet, but the flowers are cute! :)
One of the hostas has actually bloomed something terrific.
These are right next to the hostas, which contrast the lavender colour nicely:
A funny thing happened last fall, when I was trying to clear away all the crazy weeds that had plagued our back yard forever. Along the retaining wall, as I pulled and cut and threw out a ton of shit, a little patch of those chick-and-hen thingies appeared before me. They wept out, "Pleeeaase! Put us out of this misery!" And I said no. So this summer it put forth its revenge upon me and sprouted this scary mofo:
Last but not least of the craziness of our misplaced east side garden, is this dandy that keeps trucking on, despite being grown without any sort of wall or stand that clematis are supposed to be holding on to. We didn't even catch its existence until about a week ago.

2 comments:
My dad will have to help us relocate that clematis. Next year we'll garden better and fix the house some more. This year we have wedding as priority number one.
Lovely pictures. At least you've got your own garden. Now you need some apple trees. And maybe some crab apple trees too?
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.