Alberta Allows Right to Ignorance
Seriously messed up.
I can understand that parents and guardians want to protect their kids from hate speech, abuse, crime, disease, and other kinds of horrible things... but surely you can't protect them from information? As much as our society values knowledge and critical thinking, for some reason when it comes to just informing them on things that they will not be able to avoid when they grow up (if they grow up), there is a huge uproar over the rights of the parents to shield their children from being possibly corrupted, because they found out that blow jobs aren't a form of abstinence or that creationism isn't a science.
I can't even imagine how the hell anyone can even want to be a biology or ethics teacher like this. I always thought that teaching and education were important to everyone - yet when this kind of thing happens, even when the government backs the right for people to stay ignorant, it leaves me flabbergasted.
Also, CBC is a cesspool of idiot comments.

3 comments:
It's true, idiots comment on CBC... I think they could all get together and have a convention. I hope they only act like that online and not in person.
That is indeed baffling, to say the least. So creationists and religious conservatives have undeserved influence in Canada too? It is in Alberta, true, but from what you said the initiative does have back up outside Alberta. Practically, it allows parents to segregate their children from society. It is both stupid and dangerous.
We have to remember that the political machines of any sides are constantly trying to undermine each other by posting in news sites as much nonsense as possible that supports their misguided and malinformed crap, encouraging that massive tumor of comments from other internet doodooheads. The intelligent, even partially normal, comments are buried under all that yelling.
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.