Monday, June 22, 2009

PRC finally arrives...

Alors, the complication of having a job that necessarily requires interaction with young "vulnerable" folks means to have to get a police record check. Unfortunately, these are only valid for about 6 months after they check the records for you, and then if you're still not hired during that time it isn't so valid no more and you'll have to get yet another one.

Fortunately, my pricey 60$ Montreal PRC and 25$ Quebec City PRC back in 2006 were eventually used to procure a job in Waterloo, so those paid themselves back. The new unfortunate circumstance is that I wanted to volunteer in the local Ottawa schools to tutor mathematics under a volunteer agency (so that I can meet school principals and make connections to get into the occasional teachers list, so that I can finally get HIRED by the school board), so I needed yet another PRC from whoever.

The good news is that Ottawa police will do it for free provided you give them a letter from the volunteer agency. Done. The bad news is that I asked for it back in March, and it arrived in JUNE. Woo! Let's go tutor those kids now! >:( (In fact, it was completed in May and somehow they managed to not deliver it for yet another month.)

I feel like every single step I'm trying to take to get into the education system here is thwarted by another bureaucratic blockade that is determined to squeeze out whoever isn't favoured by nepotism and/or the virtue of being Catholic. (Did you know that to work in the catholic school board as a full time, part time, or occasional teacher, you have to be catholic? Analogous to requiring someone who cooks French food has to be French.)

3 comments:

PJ said...

Well, at least it's technically good until November :(.

Anonymous said...

You may be pleased to know that this isn't just a Canadian thing. It's the same in England too, you have to get enhanced Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) checks for working with children/vulnerable people. Usually your employer or voluntary agency will pay it though, and they are valid for longer than 6 months usually (depending on the job). I hate the forms with a passion! VC

Eugenie said...

Well, what I meant by validity is that most places will require a PRC that was done within the last 6 months. I mean, it's still a valid search, but I would have to do it again.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.