Hey, do you like bacon? And do you like pie?
This is BACON PIE.
Ingredients
- 1 lb
listeriabacon - 3 potatoes or so
- 1 onion
- some mushrooms
- sour cream
- spices... well, use your imagination.
Method
- Slice up your vegetables. I used a mandolin that would be much more useful if it could only stay sharp for more than a few vegetables. (Gonna have to get a real knife sharpener, not just that cheapo-sticko thing.)
- Lay the bacon from the center to the edge of the cooking thingy. Here I used a glass casserole bowl with lid, but later you'll see that it was probably a bad idea. The original recipe said to put it in an oven-safe frying pan.
- Place your sliced stuff in the middle. This might have been too much actually.
- Add some sour cream and various herbs and spices. I forgot to mix them in with the vegetables before that, so don't do what I did. Also, random green stuff.
- Bring the hanging edges of the bacon together. Now you have a bacon package. Do not eat!
- Cover it, stick in oven at 400 F, and bake long enough for the potatoes to be probably cooked. Like an hour, maybe.
- Oh crap, the bacon pie exploded.
- Well, that's okay. Just flip it over and put it back in for another 10 minutes, without the cover... and you might want to drain it. The bacon underneath wasn't finished cooking anyway. :(
- Your bacon pie is browned. Time to get it ready! :D
- Here, we present to the gourmands and discriminating tongues, the finest in contemporary cuisine - a serving of red potatoes, onions, and champignons wrapped in crisped salted pork belly, with a side of crème de blé d'inde. A profound fruity rouge, Rasteau, from the Côtes du Rhône villages (2005) pairs nicely with any provincial meals.









What the hell - this is the first time I made this dish and I didn't know what I was doing. I only did it because of a suggestion from my cap'n Crooks (from PP).

2 comments:
The bacon makes everything taste buttery! Mmm... buttery bacon.
That looks absolutely delicious, some heavy food for a cold autumn/winter day. Okay, it might raise your fat and salt intake to unhealthy levels, but it's okay once in a while. And I guess the red wine recalibrates everything. I would love to try it, but my wife being vegetarian, I doubt it will ever happen.
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.