Happy Hallowe'en! Part II!
As I felt the reverberations of pain from a certain blogger of not having a Hallowe'en event, I decided to make some caramel popcorn. Now, not knowing how to make caramel popcorn is never daunting to the caramel popcorn maker, as the treat itself is the golden buttery sugary crunchy tasty reward... OF THE GREATER GOOD. But let us analyse the physics and chemistry of making such caramel popcorn.
Too much sugar, not enough liquid, will make this virtually impossible to stir once the caramel from the pot hits the popcorn. The syrup will harden almost immediately after it's removed from heat, so this is why the last step is:
Bake while stirring. The caramel will melt slightly, enough for the stirring to occur while in the oven. Otherwise, the end result will be:
A big clumpy mess, which will be too hard to clean... normally. But harken, ye sugar lovers - hardened sugar will dissolve in water, and thus:
Stick the pans back in the still warm oven with water of course, and all will melt away like the last snow of spring. (Not the gross black pile that never seems to melt until July, no.)
THIS STUFF IS GOOD. Why? Perhaps it is the combination of fluffy, fresh popcorn covered in a thin, light shell of delectible sugar and butter; formed when the combination of melting and turning each popped kernel caused the white starchy puff to be completely coated in caramelty goodness. I don't need a reason. Whateva.
In the end, the result will be a tasty Hallowe'en treat that will disappear before you like the students who mysteriously disappeared when I asked them to put up their chairs yesterday.

1 comment:
Stupid students. No Halloween candy for me :(. But at least I watched "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown!" on YouTube.
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.