Sunday, April 23, 2006

Otakuthon

Following the failed hybrid-con from a few years ago in Montreal that I talked about more recently with that comic last month or something, the newest and FREE anime convention is being held in Concordia's Hall building on June 10 and 11. It's called Otakuthon and is hosted by Concordia's own otaku group, whatever they're called. Some points:

  • Concordia has a larger otaku following because McGill sucks

  • Most people should not go to these things to not spend any money, because leaving empty-handed from these things makes one feel like several hours of your life has been wasted mingling with weirdos in furry costumes.

  • I don't expect things to be as busy and nuts as the Anime North back in 2003, but it is inevitable that you will see at least one disturbing thing. A person in a furry costume, for instance. Humping random uncostumed people. And that random person enjoying it.

  • Most of these kinds of events are pay-to-register, so it's interesting that they aren't asking for money.

  • One of their special guests is a local internet personality from Laval who will be singing japanese pop songs. I'm imagining that it's akin to the japanese pop idol singing quebecois rock music, but I haven't the foggiest...

They are also looking for volunteers, so if you know japanese I think they might appreciate a translator... (for whom, I don't have a clue...)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

irulanne is kinda weird... cute, yet... she seems... too intense... creepy!

;)

Anonymous said...

Irulanne lacks the "authentic japanese 16 years old who looks like an 11 years old" that is required to sing any decent jpop...

Anonymous said...

The word "look" is missing from the above comment.

Eugenie said...

So I take it you're going then? :|

Anonymous said...

Heck no.

Anonymous said...

Well :) I'm happy to just found out that some people find me weird, cute, intense and creepy at the same time ! Great blog. Keep the good work ;)

Eugenie said...

Ah, an internet personality visiting me that is not brem!

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.