Thursday, November 06, 2008

Lessons from Junior Senior

Yesterday I discovered that my latest favourite band, Junior Senior, had called it quits since the end of September. No surprises actually, as both Junior and Senior (Jesper and Jeppe) had been pursuing solo works over the last little while.

In the off chance you have never heard of Junior Senior, there are many videos online of their music. Their breakthrough in the NA market is probably Move Your Feet, noted for the pixel art featured in the video, back in 2003 when it made the run throughout the geek blogger circles.


Another notable song was done with the collaboration with the B-52s singers - Take My Time:


Last year, I became entranced with the band. I listened to their albums constantly while driving back and forth between work while in Waterloo. I forced Jorgh to listen to it while I made the 8 hour marathon drives, and I still listen to it to drive him nuts.

The reason I listen to it all the time, and have not gone nuts, is that JS never goes old. Well, there's two reasons actually; as a musician, I'm used to excessively repeating pieces, and I don't get as tired of hearing pieces I like, as other people might. (Which is also why I annoy Jorgh with Queen as well, but that's another story.)

Every song in their repertoire is fun, catchy, and definitely good for dancing. Inspirational when you're down in the dumps. Celebratory when you're doing something great. (Stupid when you're doing the vacuuming but whatever.) There's definitely an element of fun-for-the-sake-of-it in their songs, rather than something grandiose or corny. I'm sorry to see them split but at least they gave the world a great sound. :)

All the pressures you embrace
They take you to a magic place
And take your magic place along
And put that feeling in a song

And keep on working through the morning
Working through the night
Until you see the light
Cuz You can hold it in your hand
And try to understand
Just do it do it do it get it down
Cuz music's not just sound

Keep on working on something better
Keep on working on something better
Keep on working on something better

-Junior Senior, I Like Music (W.O.S.B.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.