Sunday, June 04, 2006

Tales of Quebec City and Her Disgusting Ways

I was watching this guy (probably from the apartment building across the driveway) sweep around the garbage bin. Oh my god, I thought. Maybe the landlord or someone with a brain finally decided to pick up all the crap around the driveway and parking lot. Maybe they're actually going to sweep the entire lot! Maybe, just maybe, someone will remove that huge branch that got cut off the tree, and pull up the roots of the smaller tree that got chopped down for absolutely no reason!

The guy pushed the broom around the parking space behind the garbage bin, spreading the sand and junk a bit more, shoveled up the crap and disappeared.

Just when I thought that people around here couldn't be more selfish or stupider.




I have determined that it is frustrating to live in this city. I found that I am not alone, though, as I browsed the shallower depths of the internet.

Though Jorghnassen is constantly skeptical of the wild animals of the internet, I truly believe that a guy is currently stranded in Vieux-Quebec and is seeking aid. His story is that he was fired from a language monitor job at a school on the south shore, and he is living in a hostel on his last small change. (But there's more to that story.) Of course, I am also skeptical of anyone I don't personally know on the internet, but I could not help but feel terrible that nobody on the SA forum could volunteer to help the guy. Why? Because there just isn't anyone of the registered hundred thousand people living in this particular city.

Jorghnassen is completely against helping the guy out, but I can't help him either because I don't have a forums account, I don't trust internet strangers any more than he does, and I don't have a way to contact him anyway.

The second story I will tell is about a woman who is apparently "hanging by a thread" living here. She is just as frustrated at not having employment and having little career options for a person from the West. (Oh those ROC-ians.) I made some suggestions to her (you'll be able to tell by the comments), as she seems to think that the only options here are telemarketer, interviewer, or webcam-whore.

Well, maybe. I'd like to think that even unilinguals can still survive here by not remaining unilingual.

It remains to be seen if I should start forming a community of frustrated anglos living in Quebec City. The VEQ really isn't doing a great job retaining us pathetic young people. :(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Start your own employment business for Anglos in Quebec City!

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.