Work SuXX0rs
My mysterious sudden disappearance is caused by my first, new, summer job at a chinese buffet / restaurant in Quebec City (Ste-Foy). I'm a buffet girl.
Now, as you, the reader who knows me or not, may or may not know, knowing me or not will drive you nuts since this sentence doesn't make sense very much, or not. HA! ... Stupid joke.
Anyway, I have always adamantly veered away from going to work in the food service businesses because of the nature of the work my parents have always done. But since the passing of my dad, I have been through (and am still going through) much deliberation of my life. There are many things I regret not doing in the past, and I am catching up with each of these regrets.
Although buffet girl isn't exactly one of those, it's something to do this summer at least.
It makes me sad, indeed to be away from Montreal and all my friends there, and away prematurely in my plans, but it lets me be with my mother at the least, and I get to work at the same place as her. *And* I get tips. :)
School's out in the high schools, so I don't get to substitute anymore anyway. :( I haven't heard any replies from schools for a full time job in the fall or winter so I guess I'll have to keep looking. Double :(
In the meanwhile, I'll just describe the job at the basic level. There are buffet tables and each dish needs to be changed or maintained by refilling. Cleaning and putting more plates and bowls is also our jobs at the tables. So far, I haven't had luck at the hot buffet because I don't speak loud or clear enough for the chefs to know what the heck I'm asking for. So I was usually assigned to the soup bar, salad bar, and dessert tables where I don't have to talk much to them. These tables are still pains in the wazoo to maintain.
The bosses and workers are reasonably nice. They don't understand half the things I say, mostly because I try speaking either French or Cantonese to everyone and no one understands either of these languages when I speak. *grumbles*
Now, people are total pigs. Buffets are meant for the gluttons and the huge groups who can't be served properly at normal restaurants. If there were any doubt for anyone to find the biggest, most unscrupulous eaters, McDonalds would not even come close to rank to buffets. I have seen people of all shapes and sizes. Some are fit, but most are spherical, conical, pear-shaped... I've seen a cylindrical little girl. CYLINDRICAL.
I have witnessed things that would probably send more chills all over your body than a snow storm in the arctic. And probably would make you lose your appetite in a flash. I won't spoil it for you though. (Although it's probably too late for Lil' V.)
Obviously, when we get breaks I can't eat at the buffet.
Next time you visit a buffet, make sure you don't whine to the managers too much about stupid things like how little food there is at closing time. It's freaking closing time, just go home dammit!

3 comments:
I know I wouldn't want to do the same job as my parents. It's way too crazy.
PJ
What do they do?
(cr)Dave.
They're doctors. And Ms C, you RoXX0r!
PJ
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.